Friday, September 11, 2009

The End. . .

The last Nampa Nights of the season always makes me a little nostalgic. It was our very first gig 7 years ago (6 years ago??? Can't remember. . . ) and it gave us a jump start in the audio business. We used borrowed speakers and had piles of cables that we dumped onto the grass when we pulled up. I knew next to nothing about audio and the only experience I had in setting up mics was due to the fact that Rob and I had been in a band and I helped set it up when we practiced. I knew what a vocal mic was and the importance of a monitor but that's about it.


Our first season at Nampa Nights put our name out there and one show led to another. By the second summer, we had Nampa Nights and a few other regular gigs and I still really didn't have a clue what I was doing. . .


Looking back I think it was a good thing that I was clueless or I would have run for my life. What you don't know won't hurt you, right??


I would say it was a little like the blind leading the blind only Rob actually knew what he was doing. Kind of. I have heard him say things lately that have led me to believe he was flying more by the seat of his pants than I knew. . .


We still fly by the seats of our pants but I know stuff now. Not just about setting mics and monitors up on a stage but about what to expect and how to prevent possible catastrophes. . .


OK, catastrophe is too strong of a word for this instance, but I'm a realist and I plan ahead for possible glitches. I'm off base quite often but sometimes my foresight has saved the day. Rob and Kurt would probably disagree but, I'm just sayin'. . .


Anyway, the first 3 or 4 years were a blur of bad dreams for me. I got really good at pretending I knew what I was doing! I learned the lingo and knew just enough more than Joe Public to get by. . .


I know enough now that I know I don't know nearly enough. . . BUT, now I know what's around the corner most of the time AND we have grown by leaps and bounds as a business AND we're not alone anymore so I can relax (sometimes) and go with the flow.
My little trip down memory lane brings me back around to the last Nampa Nights of 2009. We had a fun crowd of friends and family so I didn't even pay much attention to what was going on up on the stage!


Hailey and I were both using my camera and we were able to capture some of the fun. . .

It's always more fun when Laura and the kids come out. . .

Laura's dad even came out and seemed to enjoy himself. . .

Sweet little Justin needed another picture of us. . .

Me and the girls. . .

Peas in a pod (so true and kind of frightening. . . )

Tyler helping his dad:

I laughed so much that evening that my insides ached. It was a good ache. . .

It's good for me to reflect back on where we were and to see where we are now. It's not that it's not difficult sometimes and it's a HUGE amount of work but it's definitely not a bad dream anymore. . .

No comments: