Friday, April 23, 2010

"Some Things Just Shouldn't Be Moved. . . "

Once upon a time I had a lovely backyard with a two-story playhouse. . .



It was a common occurrence to have actual adults sit comfortably in chairs enjoying the afternoon sunshine. . .



Children played happily in the grass and on the many and varied apparati that were available and not cracked or broken. . .



The same children waited anxiously for Rob to build a 3-story fort next to the lovely playhouse that they enjoyed. In the sunshine. Where the grass grew green all around. On the toys that were not broken. . .


One day the fort was completed and it was a perfect compliment to the lovely playhouse. . .


Children celebrated in the yard with the playhouse and adjacent fort. In the sunshine. Where the grass grew. And the toys were still intact. . .


Clean, cool water filled the pool . . .



The lovely deck invited guests to enjoy the shade and watch the kids splash in the clean, cool water in the unbroken pool. . .



Even the tractor tire, buried deep in the grass, invited kids to bask in the warm sunshine. . .

And then, one day, a business started. And grew. And took over. And the toys broke. And the grass died. And the playhouse and fort stood, neglected. And the sun shone everywhere but in the backyard. And I ceased to go there anymore. . . The End.










10 Years Later. . .










It's amazing the things you can sell on Craig's list. . .


Within 5 minutes of listing the neglected playhouse on Craig's List we received a phone call from a very desperate woman who NEEDED to have the house she saw in this series of pictures:









We listed it at a ridiculously low price with the stipulation that the buyer had to figure out how to move it. . . Fortunately, this desperate woman had a husband with a tractor. A BIG tractor.


Because of my aversion to the backyard, I made myself scarce under the guise of running errands and left Zach in charge of the camera . . .


I think he really managed to capture the essence of the production. . .























I only missed the first half of the move so I decided to make the best of it and take a few pictures of my own. . .



This man in the orange sweatshirt was very polite. He obviously came along to help his employer and he did his job efficiently and skillfully. He called me ma'am and went about his work with very few words. . .


I think that's why I found it so funny when he turned to me at one point and said almost under his breath, "There are some things that just shouldn't be moved."


The debris under the playhouse resembled the neighbor boys' yard in Toy Story. . .


I think I've said enough so I'll let the videos and pictures tell the rest of the story. . .



























































We even threw in the tire for free! Yay!













Could it be that there is a light at the end of the dark tunnel that has held my yard hostage for so many years???? Hmmmm. . .

No comments: