Monday, November 7, 2011

Aunt June. . .

I went to a funeral today for my Great Aunt June.  She was 94!  I didn't know her as well as I would have liked and I'm sure my facts aren't completely right but I'll do what I can to honor her memory. . .

Aunt June was married to my Great Uncle Roy who was the brother of my daddy's dad, Chet.  Roy and Chet were just two brothers of 10 siblings, only one of which was a girl- my Great Aunt Lil.  (Chet is 4th from the left and Roy is 5th):


Chet married Violet (my grandma) and Roy married June.  (There are some great stories about all of the Hiners and, thankfully, my mom has been very diligent about collecting them and writing them all down over the years.)  Chet and Violet had three boys- my dad was the oldest, then a year later, my Uncle Lloyd and, less than a year later, my Uncle Nelson.  (Violet and Chet with my daddy):


Stan (my daddy), Nelson and Lloyd:


Chet was killed in a logging accident near Idaho City before Nelson was born and my grandma lived the rest of her life as a widow.  I have often wished over the years that I could have known my Grandpa Chet.  All of the pictures of him reveal a face full of humor and probably a bit of mischievousness.  (Chet and Violet):


I believe Roy and Chet were pretty close in age and Roy and June had three sons that all grew up hanging out with my dad.  Every time we would visit with Roy and June when I was growing up, it felt like I got to have a little piece of my Grandpa Chet.  June was very sweet and gentle and was always attentive when we would visit.  Of course, I regret that I didn't visit her more often or take the time to ask her questions when I had the chance.  I know Roy loved to tell stories about my grandpa and I think there is a letter somewhere that he sent to my sister and I with stories of Chet.

June's son, Ken, officiated at the service and told some very touching stories about June's life.  He talked about how much Roy and June loved each other and were rarely ever apart.  Roy died in 2007 so she has spent the past few years without him.  They were married for just over 70 years!!  Ken's eulogy assured us that June led a full and happy life and was surrounded by people who loved her.  I believe he takes comfort in knowing that Roy and June are together once again. . .

These are pictures and the obituary from the Idaho Statesman:



June Kennaly Hiner 1917 ~ 2011 June Kennaly Hiner, 94, of Boise, Idaho, passed away on November 2, 2011 at a local hospital. A visitation will be held 5pm-7pm on Sunday, November 6, 2011 at Cloverdale Funeral Home, 1200 N. Cloverdale Road, Boise, Idaho. Graveside services will be held Monday, November 7, 2011 at Terrace Lawn Memorial Gardens, 4225 E. Fairview Ave., Meridian, Idaho on November 7, 2011 at 1:00 pm. June was born July 31, 1917 on her grandparent's ranch in Tygh Valley, Oregon, to John R. Kennaly and Lulu Miller Kennaly of Idaho City, Idaho. She was of early pioneer ancestry, with several ancestors settling in Idaho City, Ola and Sweet, Idaho from 1865 to 1879. She married Roy H. Hiner, September 30th 1936. They celebrated their 70th anniversary before Roy's death in 2007. June enjoyed being a housewife and mother cooking and caring for her family. She was a very good cook, cooking everything from scratch. She did volunteer work and was one of the first door to door volunteers for the March of Dimes. She worked for the old St. Alphonsus Hospital in the Central Supply Department, and a few years at Chases Health Food Store. June and Roy traveled by car through many states doing genealogy research and business and pleasure trips. June was very kind, gentle spirited person. She had a curious mind throughout her life. Always interested in the activities of her extended family and visiting with her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. She never liked to be fussed over, but deserved all the loving attention you could give her. Her family will truly miss her. June is survived by her three sons, Roy (Ken) and Joann of Boise, Dyon and Sharon of La Center, Washington and Jon and Earlene of Boise, nine Grandchildren, eighteen great grandchildren and eight great great grandchildren. She was preceded in death by three sisters, Kathleen Ash, Patricia Wonacott and Louise Carlock, her parents, one great-great granddaughter Kinsley Benedict Schick and her husband Roy. They are together again. To share memories with the family please visit June's memorial web page online at www.cloverdalefuneralhome.com

(Thanks to my sister who sent me the old photos of Chet, Violet and the boys as I was writing this post!)

6 comments:

clbrown7 said...

I am sorry to hear about June Hiner's passing...I heard much about her through my cousin, Chip, in Boise, ID. She knew so much about the family history...My grandmother, Ida Branham (Huppertz Kennaly) and June were first cousins...I am putting together the family tree in Ancestry.com and would appreciate connecting with family that has all of the research that June so diligently compiled over her lifetime and travels...
Best to you and family in Idaho, Candace B. clbrown23 at gmail

clbrown7 said...

I am sorry to hear about June Hiner's passing...I heard much about her through my cousin, Chip, in Boise, ID. She knew so much about the family history...My grandmother, Ida Branham (Huppertz Kennaly) and June were first cousins...I am putting together the family tree in Ancestry.com and would appreciate connecting with family that has all of the research that June so diligently compiled over her lifetime and travels...
Best to you and family in Idaho, Candace B. clbrown23 at gmail

My Crazy Beautiful Life said...

Thanks for your comment! I'm glad you found this post. My mom, Karen Hiner, has been very good about collecting family history and I believe she also uses Ancestry.com. I'm sure she will know who you are and will be excited to hear about your research. I'll pass on your email address to her. So great to hear from you!

clbrown7 said...

Hi again - I could not find another ancestry tree with an owner name such as Karen Hiner...they "protect" privacy of living so it is not as obvious how to search for your Mom's name on Ancestry.com..please let her know that I'm on Ancestry.com as clbrown23...and June is listed as June R. Kennaly Hiner on my tree...Please let her know that I'd love to hear from her. Best, Candace B clbrown23 at gmail

clbrown7 said...

Hi Again...I have picked up on the research on the Foster family and was hoping that I could connect with your Mom, Karen Hiner. I assume she is the keeper of all the research that June Hiner did for so many years?

Please have her contact me at my email clbrown23 at gmail dot com or I'm on Ancestry.com with profile clbrown23 and Brown Family Tree.

Thanks, Candace

clbrown7 said...

Hi Again...I have picked up on the research on the Foster family and was hoping that I could connect with your Mom, Karen Hiner. I assume she is the keeper of all the research that June Hiner did for so many years?

Please have her contact me at my email clbrown23 at gmail dot com or I'm on Ancestry.com with profile clbrown23 and Brown Family Tree.

Thanks, Candace